Event ID 10 after you install 2008 R2 SP1 — KB950375

I hate unnecessary event log errors, especially when it some unintelligible bullshit that repeatedly clogs up the event logs, making it harder to troubleshoot real issues.

If you’ve noticed the following below in your 2008 R2 SP1 servers, don’t panic, its not your fault:

Event filter with query “SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA “Win32_Processor” AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99″ could not be reactivated in namespace “//./root/CIMV2” because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.

Some crappy coder forgets to do their job properly and we end up with event log errors that raise false alarms, finger pointing (usually!) and time wasting.

Whoever was the release manager for SP1 should be fired… Steve Jobs style.

The fix is easier enough. Documented under KB950375 Рrun a vbs script or install an msi as found in article 2545227. I went the vbs script route, seems to do the job.

–UPDATE 25/10/2011

I have tested this on a vanilla Windows 2008 R2 SP1 ISO and the error is also present so is indeed a SP1 issue.