So I am busy building a next generation proof of concept environment for our vBlock 300HX – vSphere 5.1, vCenter 5.1, vCloud Networking and Security 5.1, Trend DS 9 and of course vCloud Director 5.1. I went for the appliance version as this suits my requirements to a tee – easy to deploy and get up with a minimum amount of fuss.
Or so I thought! It was indeed easy to deploy and get started but one aspect that did not working at all was the console sessions of my virtual machines.
I spent a few hours on the phone with VMware trying to get the console working on the vCloud Director appliance.
After messing around with the eth0 and eth1 adapter settings – first they were on separate VLANs, then we moved them to the same VLAN, then we added in static routes to god knows everywhere, pinging from VCD to ESXi, VCD to my Windows 7 Desktop, Win 7 desktop back to UI and Console interfaces, etc… Even when we could ping all interfaces and hosts and clients it just would not work.
And eventually we changed the net.ipv4.conf.all.rp_filter value to 0… hey presto everything started working like magic.
In hindsight I actually remembered seeing this post before, but didn’t think much of it at the time. doh. 2 hours on the phone wasted!